What is MERV?
Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) is a standard that rates the overall effectiveness of air filters. Higher value MERV rating equates to finer filtration, meaning fewer dust particles and other airborne contaminants can pass through the filter.
- MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. Or in other words, “how effective is your air filter?”
- MERV ratings range from 1-20. The higher the MERV rating on a filter, the fewer dust particles and other contaminants can pass through it.
Some of the common particles that filters are tested for include pollen, dust mites, textile and carpet fibers, mold spores, dust, pet dander, bacteria and tobacco smoke.
- Most home air systems can adequately remove airborne contaminants with a filter rated between MERV 8-13.
- MERV 14-20 are typically found in hospital and general surgery settings.
If you wonder how often you should be changing your filter for optimum performance:
Change Filters Often
- Filters with higher MERV ratings need to be changed more often (at least every three months) to avoid restricted airflow that can drain efficiency or possibly even damage your system.
- Depending on the type of filter you are using, your filters may require changing as often as once a month.
MERV 8 Pleated Air Filter
Our MERV 8 pleated filter uses 100 percent synthetic media, which offers significantly higher particulate efficiency than regular poly–cotton pleated filters. Our synthetic filters attract and capture airborne particles/allergens from three to 10 microns, including particles carrying viruses and bacteria, pollen, fine dust, and pet dander. The Merv 8 filter media will not promote the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew, or fungi in normal operating environments, and has not been chemically treated. The MERV 8 pleated filter is an ideal upgrade from standard disposable panel filters and over 30 times more efficient at capturing micro particles than ordinary fiberglass filters. They are designed to last two to three months depending on conditions.
MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter
For superior air filtration and efficiency, our MERV 11 pleated filter uses 100 percent synthetic filter media, which offers significantly higher particulate efficiency than regular poly–cotton pleated filters. Our MERV 11s attract and capture the most common household airborne particles/allergens between one and 10 microns, such as bacteria, virus carrying particles, pollen, mold spores, fine dust, and pet dander. In normal operating conditions our chemically untreated MERV 11 filters will resist the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew, or fungi. Our MERV 11 pleated filters are an ideal upgrade from standard disposable panel filters, and over 30 times more efficient at capturing micro particles than ordinary fiberglass filters. They last from two to three months depending on conditions.